Search & Win

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Dave Ryans of Wal-Mart

I went to WalMart with my son today to pick up a couple of things and to get my hair cut. After getting my hair cut, I wanted to join my son in grocery shopping, but they didn't have any electric carts available, and I was in a LOT of pain, so I decided to go back to the car and just wait for my son to finish shopping.

I grabbed an empty cart to use for stability because I didn't have my walker with me, and started walking slowly through the store and out the door to get to my car. I tried to give people room to pass me because I had to walk really slow due to the back and leg pain.

When going out the first of the automatic doors, I heard someone behind me start yelling, "Move it! Come on!" Once through the first set of doors, I inched over to the side to let people pass and the guy who yelled started bitching at me again. I calmly said, "Excuse me? I'm disabled." Again, he was bitching at me and telling me I was holding up the line out of the store.

I lost it! I started screaming at him and continued to scream at him all the way out into the parking lot. I would tell you what I told him, but it's not the things to be said in polite company. I finally made it to my car, unlocked the doors, sat down, and started crying. One of those ugly-faced, hyperventalating cries, too.

It's very hurtful when people don't understand or even CARE to understand how hard it is for us. The entire incident reminded me of Dave Ryan and the statement he made about how he thinks people who claim to have Fibromyalgia should be shot (he apparently does not believe it is a true disease). There are TOO MANY people out there who would rather us be shot than to wait a few seconds for us to get out of their way.

For those who do not know, I have created a Facebook cause entitled, "Fibromyalgia Sufferers Against Dave Ryan." If you are on Facebook and have not already done so, please join our Cause. We have chosen the National Fibromyalgia Association as our beneficiary, so all donations will go directly to them.

Was my incident at Wal-Mart a mere coincidence in light of the incident with Dave Ryan? Maybe. However, it made me even more determined that Mr. Ryan be held accountable for his statement. It made me more determined to do whatever I had to do to make his statement known to the media. It made me more determined to ensure that every disabled person has a voice and that voice is HEARD! There is strength in numbers! And as we come together in unity with a single purpose, WE SHALL PREVAIL!

And all you normal, healthy people are just going to have to wait, regardless of how slow we are!

Fibromyalgia may be invisible, but we are not!

Love and hugs,
Jessica

3 comments:

  1. It's not a coincidence. Unless you have a wheelchair, cane, etc (and even then...) people don't even think of invisible illnesses.

    I *always* use the handicapped restrestroom because I need the handrails. One time I came out of the stall and an older woman yelled at me "Those are for DISABLED people!!" (note I didn't see a thing wrong with her either). As I left I yelled "Not all disbilities are VISIBLE!"

    It's a shame we have to get nasty back, but being nice doesn't get it through their thick skulls.

    I'm SO so sorry this happened to you. I wish I could hug you IRL (and sorry your son didn't beat the crap out of him lol is that mean of me?)
    @Headacheslayer from Twitter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... so sorry to hear that! how frustrating!!! checking it out on Facebook now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go - this post is one of those "AMEN" ones. To hell with the ignorant folks out there! You do what you gotta do.

    I am preparing for the day when I'll have these incidents. My fibro is still young (only 3 years) but I know most people tend to get worse, despite all their vigilance and efforts. I'm just shy of 37 and still get carded. I know when I finally need to use a cane, I will certainly get some strange, unwanted attention. (Sigh...)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts